Sunday, November 16, 2008

Native Speaker Section

A section that really stands out to me is when Henry is talking about how he and his father used to wash the screens from the windows together. Henry's father would scrub the screen then Henry would spray it down. Henry decided to shoot his father with the hose. On his second try he hit his father right on the butt and ran. Henry "sprinted for the back door but he (his father) caught me from behind." (pg. 76)I think that this event holds significance to Henry because it was a time when he and his father got along well and played together. They had this fun relationship which deteriorated over the years. It seems like Henry misses the way he and his father used to be and is remorseful that they didn't keep their relationship like that. This is very similar to the relationship that I have with my cousin. We used to be very close and play together all the time. But over the years our relationship slowly dissolved. This was most likely due to the age difference between us and our different interests. When I look back on the memories from that time, I feel sad because our relationship is nothing like it used to be. It's unrealistic to think that all of your relationships will stay the same and that you will be close to all the same people your entire life but it's still sad to compare how a bad relationship used to be good and look and the decline.

No comments: